What is Mentoring?
Mentoring is a developmental partnership through which one person shares knowledge, skills, information and perspective to foster the personal and professional growth of someone else.
Mentoring is a concept that has taken off in recent years. As one-to-one developmental assistance has become more popular, the term mentoring and coaching have come to be used as catch-all descriptors for which there are no universally agreed definitions.
Goals of the IACC Mentoring Program
- To create inter-generational links and bonds between established experienced Irish and Australian business professionals ("Mentors") and the emerging Irish Diaspora ("Mentees").
- To provide an opportunity for Mentors to transfer their wisdom and experience to Mentees, empowering them to become future business leaders.
- To give Mentees the opportunity to be supported in transition to a new location, sector or career level.
- To give Mentees access to knowledge from other professions and disciplines.
- To give Mentees the opportunity to play their part in supporting the community through Mentee "Giving Back" Projects which will develop your teamwork and project management skills while making a positive social impact.
- To support the continuous growth and development of Mentees in their professional careers.
How does the Program work?
The IACC Mentoring Program, supported by the Irish Government and Grant Thornton, runs over an 8 month period. Applicants complete an online application form, which will be given to state based independent mentoring selection committees who then match Mentors and Mentees. *Applications for the 2018 Mentoring Program are now open. Closing date for all applications will be Thursday 22nd March 2018. During the period where applications are open, no selections or pairings will be made, so please don't be alarmed if you do not hear a selection update until late March.
Mentees for 2018 will have the opportunity to participate in a special Mentee "Giving Back" Project to deliver in each city which benefits the community who volunteer resources to make the program available to you. You will have the opportunity to build your skills in a business and peer-based team setting, with the recognition that goes alongside being someone who gives as well as takes. Your participation in the Mentee "Giving Back" Project for your city is a requirement of being accepted onto the program and the success of your fellow Mentees will depend on you being an effective team member.
Program fees for 2018 will be $350 + GST, a fraction of what you would pay for similar programs in the commercial market. This is made possible primarily through the Mentors donating their time and expertise. When you meet your Mentor, be sure to thank them for their generosity!
Mentees are responsible for maintaining ongoing contact with their Mentor, with organisation of these meetings being the responsibility of the Mentee - this is really important and will be pivotal to your success. The format of the relationship will be determined by the pair and may include e-mail, Skype, phone or face-to-face meetings.
Mentee Application Checklist
- Be a current financial (not Associate) Member of the Chamber (if you're not a current Member, click here to join, then log in as a member and you can see the Application Form)
- Complete the Application Form to the best of your ability (remember that a prospective Mentor will see your full application and the better it is, the more likely they will accept you as a Mentee)
- Think about your goals for being involved in the Program and be ready to articulate your "grand plan" to your prospective Mentor if an introduction is made. The more clearly you can present where you want to get to and why, the better placed they will be to help you go in that direction.
- Don't book a six month trek in the Himalayas - you will need to ensure you make the time to actively participate in all aspects of the program, including your peer-based project.
- Get ready for 2018 being a year when something great happens for your personal and professional development - and most of all, enjoy the experience!